Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lazy Martial Artists, Give it your all!

To often have I seen unfit and lazy martial artists. I personally could stand to lose a few pounds, but I have found for the most part my weight hasn't impacted my martial arts. This post wont go into fat martial artists, but I will cover my thoughts on lazy martial artists. Lazy martial artists will half ass everything they do, saying to his or herself or to others that they will do it for real when the time comes. This is as false a statement as one can say. I train just about every day, but it is not a full work out. I rarely get a full workout in due to lack of sufficient area, but forms are one thing a martial artist can do just about anywhere. Preforming a form half-assed is negating the purpose of a form. A form is for muscle memory and to train your body in a combination of techniques. Throwing lousy punches or just throwing semi-kicks just wont cut it. You need to perform each movement with intent and sound off when you need to kiyap. Kiyaping is to stiffen the muscles and channel ki. It can also be quite intimidating to your opponent. When you don't kiyap in practice, you wont kiyap when it counts.

One of my Hap-Ki-Do instructors, KyoSaNim (2nd Degree), gave me some great advice when punching. I was punching with little intent or power and he told me to punch harder. I neglected to punch harder and so he stood in front of me and told me to punch him. I punched him continually and he continually told me to punch harder. Finally he punched me and knocked the wind out of me and said "Punch Harder! Like this! Understand?". I nodded and attempted to catch my breath. The point he was making is that if you don't give it your all in training you wont give it your all in life. So please, if you are a martial artist give it your all when you are training! Or hang up the dobok and belt!

JoKyoNim Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment